Tuesday, September 4, 2012

WEEK THREE: CHOSEN

I'm going to admit that I was a little nervous about having 'Tis So Sweet meet on Labor Day weekend. I was afraid no one would show up. I had this nightmare that it would just be me, Buddy, and my BF Meghan sitting around eating a ton of food (which in reality is no different than any other weekend, but you get my point...).

We ended up having a great turnout that of course consisted of delicious dishes and fabulous fellowship. We had some new faces, and a couple of people that we missed and look forward to catching up with next week. I love these ladies so much and feel so blessed to be a part of this group.






I definitely failed in getting pictures of everyone that was there (sorry!), but we had 12 ladies this week, which made for some great discussion time...that obviously happened after we stuffed ourselves with all the great food (refer to sample plate below).



Before I get to the part that I know you all are drooling over (the recipes), I want to briefly share some of the highlights of our discussion time:
  • We all desire to be chosen. We long for friendship, love, acceptance. God knows our deepest desires and as we read through Psalm 139 this week, I realized that I am already chosen. I am a sinner, saved by the blood of Jesus that he willingly shed for me on the cross, and chosen by God as His daughter.
  • The thought of God's love for His children should not be diminished or shrunken down by our limited human minds. As Rachael put it, she has five children and each time she is about to have another one she thinks, "How can I love another child more than I already love the ones I have?" But somehow, she does. It's like her love multiplies. And God's love for all His children is unfathomable.
  • "Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely." - Psalm 139:4. Well if that's not a scary thought, I don't know what is. Scary because I can't hide my thoughts from God. My deepest, innermost thoughts that, sometimes, I even try to hide from myself. Yet it is immensely comforting to realize how much my God, my heavenly Father, knows and loves me. He knew me before He formed me, and I cannot flee from Him. When I try to run away from God, He is there. He is always there...waiting for me to come running back to Him when I realize that I'm lost without Him.
  • As we continue through "The Fitting Room" and begin to explore each of the virtues in Colossians 3:12, let's make it our prayer to the Lord - everyday - that we allow Him to mold and shape us so that when our virtues are tested (when we really need compassion or kindness), that it would truly come from the inside out. Let's pray that we become less and God becomes more. That we "let go and let God."
And now, for the part you've all been waiting for...THE RECIPES OF THE WEEK!
*Note, again, this will be a mix between real pictures and Googled images due to some of the pictures not doing the recipe real justice.


POTATO CAKES
Contributed by: Rachael Nichols
1 package instant mashed potatoes (or approx. 3-4 cups leftover mashed potatoes per Rachael)
2/3 cup colby jack cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 large egg
2 tbsp chives, chopped
Make mashed potatoes according to package. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Scoop out portions and form into patties according to your preference (Rachael's were about 1 inch thick and 2 inches across). Place patties in a large, greased skillet on med/high heat. Cook about 3-4 at a time for approx. 1-2 minutes on each side. **If you’re using a pan/skillet with a cover, put the lid on when you’re cooking each side. This will trap the heat and cook the patties all the way around, even on the edges. Serve warm with sour cream and bacon bits.
Approx. 30 mins; Serves 8-10
HEATH BAR FRUIT DIP
Contributed by: Meghan Handley & Audra McCartney
*They both made the same dip. Meghan served with red & green apples; Audra served with strawberries and pineapple. From personal experience, I can tell you that this dip is phenomenal with whatever fruit you choose :)

1 - 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup Heath bar crumbles
Mix all ingredients and serve with fruit of choice.
Approx. 10 mins; Serves 8-10


SAUSAGE & CHEESE BISCUITS
Contributed by: Melissa Loats
1 lb. pork sausage
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 onion, chopped
2 1/4 cup biscuit mix (Bisquick)
1 cup milk

Brown and drain sausage. Place biscuit mix, cheese & onion in large bowl. Mix thoroughly, then add sausage and milk. Mixture should be sticky & moist. Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly brown. Keep in plastic bag in freezer or refrigerator. Take out as many as needed.
Approx. 25 mins; Serves 10-12
BACON RANCH CHEDDAR PINWHEELS
Contributed by: Misty Dawn

1 - 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup real bacon bits
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp ranch dressing
1 package crescent rolls
Mix first four ingredients well in large bowl. Separate crescents into two rectangles and flatten with rolling pin. Spread cheese mixture onto crescent rolls and roll into two tight rolls. Place in freezer for 15 mins. and then slice into 1/2 inch slices. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Approx. 45 mins; Serves 10-12
MAMA'S MACARONI CASSEROLE
Contributed by: Marian Dodson - a.k.a. My mama :)
1 cup elbow macaroni
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 small jar mushrooms - drained and chopped
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 stick butter
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (your preference)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Boil macaroni approx. 5 mins. Drain, place back in pot and add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat 15 mins. Remove from heat and mix in butter & soup. Place mixture in a casserole dish, then cover with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 1 hour COVERED.
*I put covered in all caps, because one time I made this and did not cover it and it burned on top...whoops!
Approx. 1.5 hours; Serves 10-12
BEAN POT CHOCOLATE CAKE
Contributed by: Sharon Evans


1 cake mix of choice
Eggs
Cooking oil
Water
1 can frosting of choice
Pour cake mix, eggs, oil, and water (as directed on cake mix box) into bean pot (must be a microwaveable pot) and stir until well blended.
*NOTE: In case you're as clueless as I am and have no idea what a "bean pot" is...here you go:

Drop frosting in spoonfuls over top of mixture. Place lid on top and cook in microwave for 9 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, and be sure to scoop to the bottom of pot when serving to get all of the gooey frosting.
Approx. 15 mins; Serves 10-12


KEY LIME PIE
Contributed by: Jessica Everett
2 Keebler graham cracker pie crusts
9 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups key lime juice
3 cans sweetened condensed milk

Combine all ingredients, pour into pie crust. Bake at 350 for approx. 20 minutes or until no longer jiggly in the middle. Makes 2 pies, approx 8 slices each. Can use remaining egg whites to make a meringue for the top, but Jessica says her family prefers a whipped topping (she brought Redi-Whip to top the slices with and, from personal experience, it was great!).
Approx. 45 mins; Makes 2 pies (1 pie serves 8-10)


CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
Contributed by: Mallory Bradley
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of potato soup
1 1/2 cup milk
1 - 4 oz can chopped green chiles
1 can Mexicorn
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I prefer 1 package Oscar Meyer Southwest flavored cooked chicken)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients (except cheese) in large pot and place on medium heat until warm (approx. 20 mins). Remove from heat & add cheese. Stir until melted.
Approx. 25 mins; Serves 6-8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I leave you tonight with two things:

1. A picture of Buddy from Sunday afternoon. He was waiting by the window for all the ladies from our Tis So Sweet group to come and see him :)


2. The word of God. This week, we looked closely at Psalm 139. Here is one of my favorite excerpts: "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." What a powerful prayer to the Lord Almighty. To the God who created the universe, the sun and the planets, the birds and the beasts, yet the same God who knows the number of hairs on my head. To ask Him to search me and test me? Wow.
Lord, I cannot comprehend your deep love for me. I cannot understand your intimate knowledge of me; that you know my innermost thoughts before I even think them...but I accept that you do. I accept that you love me unconditionally. That you have chosen me to be your daughter no matter how many times I fail you. Lord, I thank you for who you are and I thank you for your grace and mercy. I lift this song and prayer up to you: "And on that day when my strength is failing, the end draws near and my time has come, still my soul will sing Your praise unending...ten thousand years and then forevermore. Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul, worship His holy name. Sing like never before, O my soul, I'll worship Your holy name."

No comments:

Post a Comment