Monday, September 17, 2012

WEEK FIVE: DEARLY LOVED

So far we have had five weeks of Tis So Sweet life group meetings on Sunday nights. Five. You would think that by now I would understand that I should NOT wait until the last minute to review the chapter, make my dish, and clean the house. Yet, every Sunday afternoon around 2:00, you will find me sitting on the couch thinking, "I could probably squeeze a quick nap in before I have to go to the grocery store and clean." Why do I do this to myself? I don't know...but this week I definitely learned my lesson.

I started cleaning the house up around 2:30 when I suddenly noticed that the deadbolt was locked on the front door. Usually this would be no big deal, but my husband was on a boat somewhere on Logan Martin and he had the only key. Panic mode set in. The first thing that popped in my head was "Oh no! This means I'll have to let everyone in through the garage!" If you could only see my garage and how messy it is you would understand the feeling of anxiety that came over me...my face and ears started getting hot, heart racing, palms sweating. I only had 2.5 hours to go to the grocery store, make my dish, finish cleaning the inside of the house, and clean the garage enough to make it somewhat presentable. I immediately got to work. I made the quickest trip to Publix you've ever seen, whipped up my dish, got to work on the house, and as I was scurrying through, vacuuming and feeling as stressed out and overwhelmed as I have been in a while, it all of a sudden hit me.

Who cares?!? God does not care what my house looks like. God loves me for who I am and I am righteous in His sight. Sundays are supposed to be pleasant and enjoyable and I do not want to be in this kind of mood when everyone gets here. So I stopped, gave thanks to God for His unconditional love, asked that He help me put on the virtues of Christ that we have been studying in Colossians, and all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks..."They don't have to come through the garage, they can just come around the back!" DUH!

And just like that, all was well in the Bradley household. I just swept off the back porch, ran the lawn mower over the strip of grass on the side of the house, and unlocked the gate. We had a fabulous time gathering together and fellowshipping with one another this week.

We even had some special guests! Meet Caleb and Camdyn Nichols!

Marian and Rachael hanging out with the twins

(L to R) Laura, Taishira, Jamija, Marian, Janet, and Meghan chatting in the kitchen

(L to R) Taishira & Tamija

(L to R) Laura, Marian, Camdyn, Janet (who is holding Caleb, but you can't see him due to my awful photography skills...sorry!), Rachael, & Meghan

Best friends who, thankfully, look & act just like our moms!
(L to R) Sharon, Meghan, Marian, and me


And of course we also had some yummy recipes this week, which I will get to very shortly.
 

So, going back to my story, I started off our discussion time by fessing up to the way I (embarassingly) acted that afternoon during my panic attack and shared how my virtues were definitely tested. I had officially failed the test, but thankfully didn't let it go too far before realizing that none of it matters in the long run.

Another lady shared a story of how her virtues were tested this week which made me feel better. It's awesome to know that WHEN (not IF) our virtues are tested, we have one another to lean on for encouragement and accountability.

We also talked a little about Chapter 4, which focuses on the "dearly loved" part of Colossians 3:12: "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience."
  • In this chapter, the author talks about how the "dearly loved" or "beloved" (depending on translation) as it is used here is derived from the Greek verb agapao, meaning "to have a preference for, wish well, regard the welfare of...the love which led Christ, in procuring human salvation, to undergo sufferings and death."
  • So now we understand that when God talks about His love for us, it is not to be taken lighly. He doesn't just throw around the word love like we do everyday when we say "Oh I just love those shoes!" No. He dearly loves us. So much so that He sent His only son to come off the throne of Heaven and down to earth to be betrayed, mocked, spat upon, beaten, and crucified. To take the punishment for us. To be the ultimate sacrifice for our sins.
  • Sometimes we may not fully understand, in our hearts, God's deep and unconditional love for us. It's okay to ask God to show you. Matthew 7:7-8 says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."
  • When God's love is evident to us, when we are confident in it, it makes us more eager to embody these biblical virtues, to proudly "wear" these Christlike characteristics, because we trust the ways in which God has called us to live.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...the recipes of the week!!

ICE CREAM SANDWICH SUNDAE
Contributed by: Laura McInish
1 box of 12 ice cream sandwiches (your flavor of choice)
1 large vanilla cool whip (or regular if you can't find the vanilla)
1 bottle Magic Shell chocolate fudge
1/2 cup chopped pecans, if desired

Lay out the ice cream sandwiches in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Top sandwiches with cool whip. Drizzle Magic Shell chocolote fudge over top of cool whip. If desired, sprinkle with chopped pecans or other topping of choice. Place in freezer until ready to serve.
Approx. 15 mins; Serves 10-12


BROCCOLI CORNBREAD
Contributed by: Marian Dodson
2 pkgs Jiffy muffin mix
1 - 10 oz pkg broccoli (finely chopped and unthawed)
10 oz low fat cottage cheese
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 eggs (use only 1 yellow & just the whites of the other 3)
1 stick low fat margarine, melted
1 tbsp sugar, optional

Mix all ingredients well and place in a greased 9x13 dish or pan. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
Approx. 1.5 hrs; Serves 10-12


BANANA PUDDING
Contributed by: Meghan Handley
8 oz sour cream
8 oz cool whip (thawed)
5 oz vanilla instant pudding
3 cups whole milk
1 package of Nilla wafers
4 peeled and sliced bananas

Mix milk and pudding mix. Stir in sour cream. Fold in cool whip. Layer into bowl: Wafers, Pudding mix, Banana slices. Repeat. Repeat.
Approx. 30 mins; Serves 12-15


DIRTY RICE
Contributed by: Sharon Evans
1 pound hot sausage
14 oz can chicken broth
1/2 cup rice
1 tsp minced onion

Brown sausage in a large skillet, breaking up as you brown. Stir in broth, rice and minced onion. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Approx. 30 mins; Serves 8-10


LADIES' DELIGHT
Contributed by: Janet Posey 
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
Pepper to taste
2 cans tomato sauce

Brown beef, pour off excess grease. Add garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.

5 scallions (spring onions)
1 pkg 8oz egg noodles
1 - 3oz pkg cream cheese
1 - 8oz carton sour cream
Grated cheddar cheese

Cook noodles and drain. Chop part of tops and part of bottoms of scallions finely. Mix onions with cream cheese and sour cream. Grease baking dish lightly. Put layers of noodles, meat sauce, sour cream mixture and grated cheese, ending with grated cheese on top. Usually enough for 2 layers. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes to heat thoroughly & melt cheese. Best mixed the day before then heated through before serving.
Approx. 1.5 hrs; Serves 10-12


BERRIES & CREAM CHEESE MONKEY BREAD
Contributed by: Rachael Nichols
2 - 11 oz pkgs Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough (22 ounces total)
½ cup strawberries
½ cup blueberries
3 tbsp sugar
1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese, room temperature
    
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11-inch spring-form pan with cooking spray and set aside.       
Place all berries, cream cheese, and 1 tablespoon of sugar into the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth (about 1 - 2 minutes). Lightly flour a surface, and roll out both pieces of Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough, side by side. Spread both dough pieces evenly with the cream cheese mixture, leaving a 2-inch border of dough around the cream cheese. Roll up both dough sections into a log -- jelly-roll style. Trim off the ends of each roll to make them neat, and then, cut each roll into 15 1-inch pieces. Place each piece of dough into prepared round or bundt pan, placing them side-by-side in concentric circles until entire pan is filled. Sprinkle dough with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and bake for 35 minutes or until bread is lightly golden. Serve immediately.
Approx. 50 mins; Serves 10-12


OREO DIRT CAKE
Contributed by: Mallory Bradley/Chip's grandmother








1 bag of Oreos, crushed
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
3 cups milk
2 small pkgs instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz Cool Whip, thawed
Mix together all ingredients except Oreos in a large mixing bowl (I actually used my beaters on low and it worked well). Layer cream cheese mix and Oreos in a trifle dish or large bowl. Chill and serve.
Approx. 30 mins; Serves 12-15
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I leave you tonight with two things:
1. A picture of Buddy crashed on the bed after everyone left

2. The word of God. Ephesians 4:29-32 says "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."
Lord, help me to dwell on your word this week and in the weeks to come when my virtues are tested. Lord, help me understand your deep love for me. Thank you for the love you have shown this world by sending your Son to die for our sins. And thank you for saving me from an eternity apart from you.

1 comment:

  1. I missed being with y'all!! Mallory, the scripture you shared at the end here was just what I needed to be reminded of this very moment. So glad I visited the blog tonight! God knows just what we need even if it's a swift kick in the backside!

    ReplyDelete